Due to Covid-19, circa1894's business model has had to change, and, with that, the Bed & Breakfast is offering YOUR CHOICE OF TWO SUITE/APARTMENTS.
the exclusive Spa Suite, WHERE You will enjoy private access, with keyless entry, FULL KITCHEN, 3 PC BATH, QUEEN SIZE BED, LIVING AND DINING AREA, AND 32" SATELLITE TV. AS WELL, three saunas ARE AVAILABLE ON REQUEST, for your enjoyment during your visit. Enjoy the Nir and far infra-red saunas indoors and the finnish sauna outdoors on the bottom of our three spacious (AND EXCLUSIVE TO YOU)decks.
ALTERNATIVELY, YOU MIGHT LIKE THE SUNDAY SCHOOL SUITE, WITH FULL KITCHEN, 3 PC BATH, QUEEN SIZE BED, LIVING AND DINING AREAS, ALONG WITH 40" SATELLITE TV. ENJOY SITTING OUT BY THE POND.
Breakfasts are continental style, and payments can be via e-transfer, permitting a no-contact stay with us.
Some pics for your visual enjoyment. Hover over the pic for some text on what you are seeing:
The Spa Suite/Apartment, with queen bed, private kitchen, living room and bath, is available nightly for $179.00, Continental Style Breakfast included, as is exclusive use of the three saunas on three levels of decking. Fridays and Saturdays, during the summer months, will be $199.00. If not in use, for an additional $75.00 per night, a roll-away bed is available to sleep one extra guest in your group.
The Suite boasts a microwave, toaster, toaster oven, kettle and coffee maker for the exclusive use of our Circa 1894 B&B guests.
Stay 7 days for the cost of only 6, with 1 day free.
Check-in time is 4 p.m., with check-out at 11:00.
Everything we've done, from the design stage onward, has been based on sustainable practices.
Our goal here at Circa 1894 is to integrate economic and environmental sustainability objectives into our daily activities. We remain committed to sustainability in our design, material sources and in our day to day. We focus on efficient energy utilization, renewable and recyclable material choices and as close to zero waste as we can manage.
Our sustainable practices include:
- From the moment we started renovating the church, we began eliminating a huge amount of waste going into landfills by reusing, recycling, and repurposing materials.
- All the saunas were purchased privately, meaning that no new material was required of the planet in order for you to enjoy their benefits.
- All the windows and almost all the doors, including the lovely entrance door, were purchased through Kijiji. Ditto the gas fireplace, the water fountain, the Quiet Room furnishings, the hot water heater, many of the lawn ornaments and so much more.
- To help sustain the local economy, we applied the 100 km rule as much as possible. New building materials were sourced locally and the cedar deck and finish lumber was purchased from a family owned mill near Killaloe.
- Ingredients for Breakfast/Lunch are purchased using seasonal, organic produce grown and/or bought locally, where feasible. Eggs might come from chickens right here in the village, and we have grown a selection of the fruit and veggies used on site.
- The organic soap for use by our B&B guests is handmade locally.
- Local trades were used in the build and in the renovation and much of the construction and finish crew actually came from within the village and surrounding neighbourhood.
- Water from the sink and showers in the Spa is retrieved, filtered and recycled into the toilets, effectively cutting down on the amount of water going into the septic system.
- Rain water is collected from the roof for watering the back gardens, which have provided the mint and nettle teas that are occasionally available.
- The Spa was designed for passive solar and assembled to Passive House Standards and, with that, the annual heating cost is less than $200.00
Circa 1894 B&B is located a short drive northwest of Lanark, Ontario and under 1/2 hour from Historic Downtown Perth; about one hour from downtown Ottawa and 1 1/4 hours out of Kingston.
A couple of our many Testimonials, received since opening in 2015:
What a delight! Serene energy here, amazing massage, great saunas and tubs and healthy, tasty meals. Thank you for a most restorative stay, Donna & Cam. You have an oasis here. Chris, Almonte
We had the pleasure of staying with Donna and Cam when we visited Watson's Corners to celebrate a friends birthday. What a lovely spot! Since our friends had booked the other rooms, we had expected to stay in the Golden Falcon and were happy to have found such great accommodation so close to our destination.We didn't arrive until almost 7:30, and were delighted to find that we had been 'upgraded' to their new Chapparelle Trailer. Gorgeous! Our own shower, toilet, queen bed, sitting area and a kitchenette.
Well worth the price, especially as Cam was kind enough to let us park our Harley in his nice dry garage....we got ALOT of rain Friday night! The grounds were beautiful, and although we did not make use of the spa facilities, we did enjoy a fabulous breakfast on Sunday morning before riding out. It is absolutely incredible what Cam and Donna have been able to accomplish in this beautiful old church. We really enjoyed hearing their stories (that Stove!) and seeing that it is possible to make an old building (extremely) energy efficient while maintaining its character. They have done a magnificent job.
I laughed when I read another review about Circa 1894 being somewhat 'out of the way'. For avid motorcyclists, Lanark provides some of the best riding in Ontario, and this wonderful little gem would be a perfect starting off or finishing point for any adventure in the Highlands. We will definitely be back, and I recommend Circa 1894 to anyone looking for a spotless, well run establishment. William, Huntsville